Easy Apricot and Coconut Energy Bars
My crusade against single-use plastics and unnecessary packaging continues. This means many snacks (such as bliss balls and muesli bars) are off my supermarket shopping list. These bars are gluten, dairy free and nut free and are vegan friendly. Cut them into pieces as big or small as you like, so you can create it as small snack, or something bigger when you really need your energy.
All of these ingredients are available at good health food stores, and even supermarkets carry many of these.
- 1 ½ cup quinoa flakes
- ½ cup puffed amaranth
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup pepitas/pumpkin seeds
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup diced apricots*
- ¾ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup tahini
- 4 tbsp rice malt syrup (can use honey, or both at a 1:1 ratio)
* Can substitute for cranberries, sultanas, or another dried fruit of choice.
- Preheat oven to 150°C fan forced
- Place all dry ingredients (except diced apricots) in a big mixing bowl
- In a small saucepan heat up coconut oil, tahini and rice malt syrup and apricots on a medium heat for 5 minutes until it is warmed through, and apricots start to break up. Do not bring to boil
- Pour liquid into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix well until combined
- Pour mixture into a 2 medium-sized, lined baking tray and press down until firm. The thickness of the mixture should be approximately 1.5cm thick
- Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes until firm and brown
- When cooled, remove from pan and cut into your desired sized bars.
- Keep in an airtight container or freeze